lichess.org
Donate

Accidental Castling

Hi, I wanted to share just a small issue I had today.

Apparently there are more than one castling ways on the board which one of them made me accidentally to castle.

This is the game that happened: http://en.lichess.org/4ZYQ0EOD/black#37

At 19th move for black I wanted to move my king so I had clicked on it but later I decided to play Rb8 instead but as soon as I touched the rook it castled queen side. The resulting position was awful although my opponent didn't punish the mistake. But still it was frustrating. I'm not saying that this method of castling should be removed but it would be good if we could disable it imho.

Thanks.
A bit tricky from a programming perspective.

If I were designing a chess board for on-line use such as this I would have clicking and dragging inputs to be essentially the same.

i.e. that when you let go of a dragged piece the code reads that as if you made a second click on the square you drop the piece.

It just seems to me the most efficient way to have the code rather than having clicking and dragging separate.

Because of this what you are asking for is possible only by removing that method of castling completely.

OR putting in an exception case for people who have an option in their player settings to turn that method of castling on/off but which would slow down the servers significantly.

Both of these options seem unfavourable to me.
Agree with #1 there could be an option of disabling click click input of moves and only allow drag drop and vice versa.
Thanks for your input. To be honest I don't have the faintest idea about the details you are referring to so I can't say much onto your answer.

But it just seemed to me that castling that way was just an extra method when you think about the current move input methods. Because we can drag the king and drop it on two squares side which is obviously drag&drop method and we can click on the king then click on the two squares side which is the sole clicking method. But first clicking on the king and then clicking on the rook looks like a third and an odd option to castle.

Anyway, in any case this is just a small issue like I said in my op and if it doesn't have an easy fix it's still all the good since the website is almost perfect in every way.
@weirdjump thanks for the earlier thread, I should have searched for the topic apparently. :)

@awesomer, agreed if it's feasible it might be the best to be able choose only one input method since almost everyone uses only one of them. But if MadHatMan is right and if it's tricky to do so, I'm totally fine with the way it is.
+1

"Agree with #1 there could be an option of disabling click click input of moves and only allow drag drop and vice versa"

+1
It's the way I always castle, it's especially useful in bullet to be able to click the king and click the rook you want to castle with. It prevents accidentally moving the king only one square, and ensures you will castle the way you want to.

It's a very important feature. More customisability is good, but look - now you know just not to do it, rather than contributing towards feature bloat.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.