lichess.org
Donate

What if a chess site were set up to completely eliminate rude behavior?

Scratch that, it already exists- http://en.lichess.org/account/kid

End thread/

fuck off christians/kids/thinskins

Lichess is not played in most schools not for lack of kid mode, but for an abundance of anti-intellectualism, the same anti-intellectualism that has us inventing concepts like curse words. Parents who limit their child's speech rather than teaching them the importance of free speech, need to grow up.
"[...] and I believe it can be done with very strict moderation and enforcement."

Right, then it's not going to happen on Lichess, where the moderation manpower is all voluntary and the best interest is the improve the chess atmosphere, not to nitpick on user behaviour where the existing system (chat is only optional, offensive behaviour in public can be reported) works.

I encourage you to turn on Kid Mode lichess.org/account/kid if you don't want to deal with users but still want to play chess.
Oh, the sweet irony of ranting about rudeness while simultaneously branding people as "dicks" and "assholes".
Sometimes I like to meet some rude people. Because I write faster and I can insult them harder and more witty. So they are a kind of a pillow for whipping for me. That's how I deal with rude people.
@James7,

I play 8 ball (in another website, of course) and the chat system is such that you can ONLY choose from a selection of phrases. It's similar to the relatively new macros in our chat here except that it's multilingual--you see the popups in the language of your choice. Sadly, something positive like "Thanks!" can be twisted into a snide remark. Usually, this happens when they think you accidentally legally pocketed one of their balls. If it's a tactic to clear the way for your other balls and if you have a good run and manage to clean the rack, it is almost predictable that they'll chime in with "Unlucky!" as if your winning was a matter of luck instead of skill. =,=

It is fortunate that it seems over half of the netizens are nominally decent people. Of course, my day gets ruined by the occasional inconsiderate jerk. These are not necessarily anonymous players. Reporting registered players is after the fact. The emotional damage has been made. (Why do they feel entitled to point out that I'm a weak player? I already know that very much myself. In case I win, why am I suddenly a cheater? It's not like I should be losing every single game I play. I'm inherently temperamental so my performance is pretty much influenced by my mood and disposition.) >,<

This issue is something like the takeback feature. If it's off, people don't complain about it. When they can't use it, then they don't mention it. There's a stark difference though. When one side has chat disabled (where the text is actually just hidden), the other side doesn't know about it. You'd feel ignored despite sharing some initial goodwill. A troll would feel dissed after venting some pre-game trash talk (which shouldn't have been done in the first place). o,O

Even the +15 feature is used for spamming. (I wish I could stop opponents from giving me more time. It's detrimental to my trying to improve my slow thinking speed as it relieves the time pressure aspect.) There's "offer draw" (and takeback) spamming as well. ~,~'

Another typical rude behavior is "walking away" (leaving the game) instead of resigning. This is reinforced by the mentality that this site allows a player to claim a win/draw after a certain period of time ... anyway. (Tough luck for unintentional disconnections.) It's pathetic how some people don't have enough pride and claim victory when they're clearly a few steps from getting checkmated. I'm pathetic for getting annoyed by these trivialities. *sigh*

If you leave the online version of life, "real life" will still have these things. You can't escape them. T_T
I think I know the website you're on about weakwithwords. You could say something like "Good shot!", but some people used to do it constantly, even if it was their shot. It could be kind of funny, I think. Having prescribed text ironically makes trolling even easier.
My favourite one was when I played Anonymous in a 0+1 game. He crushed me, and just when I was realising it's actually mate in X, he gave me like 2 minutes (8 times +15 seconds). Needless to say, I left the time running out and went browsing something else.

When I came back, 10 sec before I was about to time out, I saw the chat full of praising words ;-), and that he left the game. Meaningless win, but at least he didn't get what he thought. Awesome feeling.
@MoralIntentions, I agree and if I had children I wouldn't let them play chess online. I ever read that the separate site chess.com has for kids is a frequent target of trolls and online bullies who go there because they know the kids are there. See as an adult I can read a comment like "I hope you enjoyed our little rape session immensely", but I imagine that would be very traumatic for a child and even though the majority of games are going to be without incident you know if they play regularly online they're going to encounter people like this. Chess is an emotional game and people, especially kids get their self-esteem tied up in it and thus the online bullying comes with more impact.

@Dearprudence and GloriaVictus, I'm not advocating a site where profanity is banned, merely rudeness and unsportsmanlike conduct. I used the words "dickery" and "assholes" yes, but I'm not directing them to anyone personally as a malicious act of unprovoked rudeness. We as people with common sense know what's rude and unsportsmanlike behavior.

@VariantLurker, yes I've had some of those people before too. The people who get in winning (or what they think is a winning position) and as you sit there trying to figure a way out of it they suddenly give you more time on the clock. Weird phenomenon, I guess they think you're going to do the standard "let the time run out without resigning" thing and they're hoping to play out the mate on the board or something.

@weakwithwords I believe in real life you can escape probably 99% of the rudeness. Someone wouldn't be able to say "I hope you enjoyed our little rape session immensely" face to face, they just wouldn't do it. And also, the mild rudeness would probably be gone, like the people who disable chat after I type hello online, can you imagine if in real life you sat down to play chess with someone and they just remained silent after you said hello? Didn't even that one guy get disqualified because he wouldn't shake hands with Nigel Short (I'm not saying the guy was unjustified there because from what I understand Short had insulted his team earlier, but that just shows you this type of thing isn't tolerated in real life chess).

Well everyone, I'm about to get rid of the internet in a week. I've already decided, and I think it will help my chess too because now I'll not be able to play blitz games and instead do more tactics puzzles out of books.
What about disabling chat completely by default? I mean the best way to get rid of offensive speech is to get rid of speech completely where it is not necessary. I'm just not convinced that chat needs to exist in a 1v1 chess game. Also only allowing certain predefined sentences such as "Have a nice game" should also be an option.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.